It has been a while since I tackled a small project. Engine work, reinsulating the fridge area, haul outs for depth sounder…. I wanted a small project costing me zero dolares por favor. I also genuinely like writing and documenting this stuff, I guess because that’s mostly what I was doing for so long before Coconut could sail! Way back when the hatches were being redone I had some boards made to size so I could at least keep the draft out of my boat. I’ve kept the boards, but really they were just getting in my way and constantly falling over in the shop.
I was in the mood to shred up some wood and cover the contents of my boat in sawdust, so I grabbed the measuring tape, a sharpie, and the jigsaw and cut out a template to create a shelf in the hanging locker. I wasn’t sure how many shelves I would need, so I started with two. (Three was enough.) I am not great at getting a straight cut with the jigsaw, but I was planning on sanding down the edges and painting the shelves and the locker itself anyways. I like this locker because it has runoff access to the bilge, so it’s a legit wet locker.
One thing I have realized is having the shelves at a slight angle will help the contents stay put and not slide out whenever I open it underway. To keep the shelves in place, I grabbed a few tiny planks that used to be my interior fridge rack. I had dismantled them and will one day get plexiglass, as the wood gets saturated with condensation and is tough to clean if something spills on them. I used some thickened epoxy and painters tape to hold them in place.
It’s amazing how much space I have in here now! I originally tried putting the PFD’s and foulies on hangers, but the life vests are so bulky it didn’t work well. This is what led to me just stuffing everything in there. After the shelves were in, I had my foulies, PFD’s doggie PFD’s/jacklines/tether all organized and easily accessible. I even had space for my shoes at the bottom! Whoop. And yes, those are all the shoes I own.