newish cockpit

The cockpit had many a problems when I first bought my dear Coconut. Let’s make a list!

-Opening hatch was sealed incorrectly, let water in and was itself rotted as well as water runoff rotted a countertop down below.
-Random piece of 2″ teak was rotted and falling off
-Many bungs were missing and screws exposed
-Caulking separating in many areas

Shaving down the wood to match the old.
Pirate Epoxy for the win



If I ever need to get cracking on my boat, all I need to see is a forecast full of rainy days. You best believe I’ll get a bunch of projects done ASAP! This obviously had to be done in many stages over the course of several weeks, but sometimes that’s the only way to get the job completed when there is precipitation.


The hatch was rebuilt just fine, and the pretty new teak was what made me want to make the rest of the cockpit match it. Although there were no other leaks, the caulking separating is usually a sign that it’s on it’s way out and needs to be redone.

The worst part of this project was maybe the fact the teak had been power washed, therefore it was not sanding “straight”. I would sand, and sand, and sand, and there were still dark grey deeper lines. It’s purely cosmetic, and there’s not much I can do about it.

I learned how to do the caulking from this video, and shaving down the bungs from this video (starts at 8:08). FYI, all those screws sticking out I had to countersink the holes to be able to put bungs in there. Also, because the boat was built in Taiwan and everything is metric, I went with 3/8″ bungs and got new screws just to make it easier.


I have decided to leave the caulking on until I’m done with construction. It doesn’t hurt the wood, and so far I’ve spilled paint and epoxy all over the beautiful teak, so a light sanding when the work is done will pretty this up in no time.