Categories
progressions

newish cockpit

The cockpit had many a problems when I first bought my dear Coconut. Let’s make a list!

-Opening hatch was sealed incorrectly, let water in and was itself rotted as well as water runoff rotted a countertop down below.
-Random piece of 2″ teak was rotted and falling off
-Many bungs were missing and screws exposed
-Caulking separating in many areas

img_1827
Shaving down the wood to match the old.
img_1820
Pirate Epoxy for the win

img_1823

img_1830
BAM!

If I ever need to get cracking on my boat, all I need to see is a forecast full of rainy days. You best believe I’ll get a bunch of projects done ASAP! This obviously had to be done in many stages over the course of several weeks, but sometimes that’s the only way to get the job completed when there is precipitation.

IMG_1825.jpg

The hatch was rebuilt just fine, and the pretty new teak was what made me want to make the rest of the cockpit match it. Although there were no other leaks, the caulking separating is usually a sign that it’s on it’s way out and needs to be redone.

The worst part of this project was maybe the fact the teak had been power washed, therefore it was not sanding “straight”. I would sand, and sand, and sand, and there were still dark grey deeper lines. It’s purely cosmetic, and there’s not much I can do about it.

I learned how to do the caulking from this video, and shaving down the bungs from this video (starts at 8:08). FYI, all those screws sticking out I had to countersink the holes to be able to put bungs in there. Also, because the boat was built in Taiwan and everything is metric, I went with 3/8″ bungs and got new screws just to make it easier.

IMG_1806.jpgIMG_1824.jpgIMG_1834.jpgIMG_1836.jpg

I have decided to leave the caulking on until I’m done with construction. It doesn’t hurt the wood, and so far I’ve spilled paint and epoxy all over the beautiful teak, so a light sanding when the work is done will pretty this up in no time.

Categories
progressions

water tank woes

I’m not going to lie, Coconut has brought me some good old fashioned luck. One of the problems I need to fix before I cast off is making sure the water tanks can hold water. Kindof important! They were only able to hold about 1/2 inch of water and they hold 150 gallons overall. Being that that is a lot of valuable space and water storage, gurl wanted to fix that. I want to be able to do dishes too, without having to refill my water jugs several times a day! While a friend was looking at the boat the other night, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.

20140617-143610-52570039.jpg

There was an open fitting with no hose or valve on it. And yes, the tanks are grody. Lots of rust to clean out. I went to the store and got some (ahem) male plugs. (Getting better with the terminology!) Once home I put those babies on and filled up the water tanks and voila, I found another hole! And another one! And another one! Basically, plugging the holes was only part of the problem, although it was the bigger problem so that’s good. I spent several hours on my hands and knees in all kinds of uncomfortable boat yoga positions, with bruises to prove it, to get the rust out of the tanks and find where the leaks were.

SAM_4645

I poked and prodded where rust didn’t seem to be going away (mostly at the seams of the tanks) with a dental pick and I was able to find a few more holes. I evacuated the water by hand into that bucket. The tanks are at least clean now! I saw where the holes were too! After speaking with several people (and a couple of welders) I was told to look for holes on the bottom of the tanks and to patch them with JB Weld and see how that does. The guy was right, the holes were on the bottom and not very big at all, but definitely slow leaks that I don’t want.

IMG_7213

Here are both of the gigantic water tanks! One step closer to Bon Voyage! I still have one leak in tank #1, but tank #2 is currently full with 75 gallons of water!!!!! It took about an hour to fill up. Gurl has water.. once I hook it up to the faucet I mean! So close.

IMG_7309

Now the boat is tilted, and I thought I’d evened out that tilt with that 300′ of chain I recently added.

IMG_7311

I did get lazy (and I was very sore) so where the leak is I didn’t bother trying to get rid of the rust. Obvi I missed something. I’ve hooked up the faucet and woohoo I have running water!!! That’s a first for 2. 5 years of boat living! Now I’m going to take a vacation. Happy Fourth!