Alright, the last maintenance post I did was about the mast sanding. I’d removed ALL of the hardware, scrubbed every screw until my fingers were raw, and thought about all the other things I should do while the mast was down. I had tried to slowly replace the rigging one by one, but no rigger wanted to climb a 40 year old rig. Gee, I wonder why?? In addition to the new standing rigging, and new paint, over the course of a few months I completed the following.
I added all new LED light fixtures and electrical components/wiring:
- Spreader Lights (one facing forward, one facing aft)
- TriColor masthead light with a windex
- Ubiquiti Bullet for Wi-Fi
- Shakespeare Antennae for VHF/AIS
I had the masthead piece welded so a spare halyard could be added (hanging from a block)
I had the shivs inside the masthead remade as the old ones had jagged edges and could potentially fray the new halyards.
The chainplates (as well as most of the metals used on this boat) were known to be terrible. I had them remade, and they somehow came back wrong. I know my boat well enough to know when a stack of chainplates come back and all the holes line up, somethings wrong. Everything is pretty much hand made on board, no two items are the same and you know you have the right piece when it actually goes back on properly. When it doesn’t, chances are I’ve been trying with the wrong piece. The boat was built in Taiwan in the 70s so they apparently used a melting pot of metals, meaning they corroded quickly because of the weakness of the mixture. (I hope I got that right, it’s something like that.) SO the mast was down longer than anticipated because it took a while for these to come back in.
The chainplate covers up on the deck were also remade, because the original ones were very flimsy and not really doing anything at all.
I had purchased a used ProFurl from a friend and had to buy a couple of extension pieces for it to fit the forestay, so this also needed to be put on while the mast was down.
Once the paint was dry on the mast, I got to work putting all the pieces back together and attaching all the cleaned hardware. The mast went back up in March of 2017, and I was so SO happy. I think this was when people in the yard finally started taking me seriously, and they also stopped calling me a power boat ;).
Once the mast was back on, there was still a lot of work to be done! I still had leaky hatches, I still didn’t have a roller furling jib, I still didn’t have the boom set up to the track, or reefing points, or any kind of rigging to assist with solo sailing. And of course, there are always those surprise issues too 🙂